The pace at which technology has recently grown is astounding. Just 20 years ago, it was impossible to imagine how much we’d have available at our fingertips. These advances don’t just result in entertainment and convenience; they have transformed the capabilities of at-home care.
New devices, apps, software and machines make it possible to consistently monitor a variety of different health issues. Doctors are able to review your vitals, health information and daily health decisions from afar. Individuals and caregivers are using technology to monitor their own health and the health of their loved ones. Technology has also grown the way in which we can learn and communicate to others struggling with the same health problems.
Social media allows access to organizations, support groups, peers and endless amounts of information. Folks are now able to navigate through this difficult journey without feeling alone. They can easily reach out and talk to others experiencing the same issues.
This isn’t just helping with moral support. These new devices are creating a remarkable at-home care experience. Here are examples of the emerging technologies:
- Medication Management Systems – Whether you’re on one or 20 different prescriptions, these management systems can help with medication dispensing, timing/reminders, organizing, identifying and much more.
- Activity Tracking Bands – Now you can easily be proactive about your health. Individuals and their caregivers can easily track nutrition, fitness and healthy sleep patterns.
- Cardiac Monitors – These devices can track cardiac ECG and rhythm. It allows individuals to remain independent while their heart and general health are being monitored from afar.
- Health Sensor Phone Cases – You can now purchase smartphone cases embedded with sensors that can measures blood pressure, ECG, heart rate, blood oxygen, temperature and more.
- Emergency Response Systems – These products will come to the rescue, whether you’ve fallen or are experiencing more serious symptoms of seizure, these can alert others of your emergency.
- Elder Care Software Systems – These systems can coordinate with teams, families and patients to provide enhanced communication for all parties. These mobile and web-based systems assist the patient care experience by keeping everyone involved, connected and aware.
These are just a few of the amazing things out there today. When it comes to home healthcare, don’t over look the conveniences of some of these devices. They could not only help during your day-to-day routine, but could potentially save a life.
How has technology changed your situation?Do you have a favorite device or system? Share it with us!